#250 ✓invalid
akshay (at mugasha)

NoMethodError on first page (Multiple associations)

Reported by akshay (at mugasha) | October 25th, 2008 @ 04:12 AM

Hello, I have been trying to debug this issue and then i realized that plugin was causing this.

I am using the example of search from railscasts but I have a deep association model.


NoMethodError in Browses#tracks

Showing app/views//tracks.html.erb where line #18 raised:

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! The error occurred while evaluating nil.setTitle Extracted source (around line #18):

15: 16: <% for track in @track do %> 17:

=> 18: <%= track.trackTitle%> - <%= track.artist.name %> (<%= track.dj_set.setTitle %>) 19:

20: <% end %> 21:

class Track belongs_to :dj_set belongs_to :artist end class dj_set has_many :tracks, :dependent => :destroy end class artist has_many :tracks end

------track.html.erb------ <% form_tag request.path, :method => 'get' do %> <% content_tag :label do %>

Search Tracks:
<%= text_field_tag :search, params[:search] %>

<% end %> <% end %>

<% for track in @track do %>
    <h3 style="margin-bottom: 2px">
        <%= track.trackTitle%> - <%= track.artist.name %> (<%= track.dj_set.setTitle %>)
<% end %>

------ Track.rb model -------

def self.search(search, page)

paginate :per_page => 20, :page => page,
         :include => [:artist, :dj_set],
         :conditions => ['trackTitle like ?', "%#{search}%"], :order => 'created_at'


----- browse_controller.rb ------

def tracks

@track = Track.search(params[:search], params[:page])


This WORKS fine on page >2 and if any search is performed. The eror is only shown on page one.

Correct output

Search Tracks: --intro--- Intro - A State of Trance (374) Intro - A State of Trance (375) Intro - A State of Trance (373) Intro - Trance Around the World (239) Intro - Trance Around the World (238)

Thanks you! Cheers, Akshay

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Mislav

    Mislav October 26th, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

    How are you sure the plugin is causing this? From what I see from your code and error, the problem isn't in pagination at all, but in the fact that one of the Tracks doesn't have dj_set.

  • akshay (at mugasha)

    akshay (at mugasha) October 27th, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

    You are totally right. I just checked the table and one track had a dj_set NULL. This is my fault and I apologize for blaming the plugin. Thanks for pointing that out and all your work on this awesome plugin. Cheers, Akshay

  • Mislav

    Mislav October 30th, 2008 @ 10:07 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “invalid”

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Everyone's favorite Ruby library for pagination of practically anything!

People watching this ticket